Summer School Widening Access to Medicine
What is Widening Access and Participation?
Every year at Medic Mentor we work to raise aspiration and support aspiring students through mentoring and support to enter into medical, dental and veterinary schools on leaving post-16 education. We have a clear vision to level the playing field and widen participation in these careers and as part of this commitment each year, we work to secure and allocate funded places for Summer School with Medic Mentor.
This is exclusive to year 12 students only, as the summer school programme operates throughout the summer holidays prior to applying via UCAS. Students’ achieved and predicted grades will be taken into account and aligned to contextual offer data from the universities. Our eligibility has been carefully compiled through understanding the individual medical, dental and veterinary schools eligibility criteria to ensure our eligibility is aligned. From the below eligibility, students can identify with one or more of the criteria, and if shortlisted, will need to be able to provide evidence on request – which is documented alongside the eligibility.
- Quintile 1 or 2 postcodes/POLAR 4 – Postcodes will be confirmed via the following postcode checker – Search by postcode – Office for Students
- First Generation to University Families
- Students in receipt of Free School Meals – Evidenced by school confirmation
- Students eligible for Pupil Premium/Pupil Equity Fund – Evidenced by school confirmation
- Students in receipt of either 16-19 bursary or UCAT bursary – Evidence by school confirmation
- Students with experience of being in care/looked after children – Evidenced by local Social Services
- Students who have had a parent/s serve within the British Military Services at any point before the students 25th Birthday
- Students estranged from their families
- Students in receipt of Means Tested Benefits – Universal credit for Job Seekers, Universal Credit for Working Families, Universal Credit for Income Support, Personal Independence Payment, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Council Tax and Housing Benefit – Evidenced by letter from DWP confirming receipt of named benefits within a three month period
- Students with Refugee/Asylum Seeker Status – evidenced via Home Office Correspondence
Students can apply via the form below. This is a standard application process and does include the completion of a 4000 character count personal statement, which will be used to shortlist students initially, and this is an opportunity for students to outline their motivations to study their desired career and experiences and skills development commenced so far.
Applications for 2022 are now closed.
Our UCAS focussed Summer School is unlike any other because the programme extends far beyond the 5-day residential course. There is a tremendous level of mentoring and support given to prospective Medical, Dental and Vet students before and after the Summer School to help secure a place at university.
At Medic Mentor, we are incredibly passionate about widening access for students. Each year we strive to provide over thirty fully funded summer school places for widening access students. Many of these students go on to secure multiple offers from universities. As we grow in size, we envisage that over 25% of our students will come from a widening access background and they will be eligible for fully funded positions at our Summer School. It is clear that our programme facilitates a gateway for upward social mobility for our WAM’s student’s and we are incredibly excited for what lies ahead.
With the difficulty of navigating a new world post Covid-19, we here at Medic Mentor decided to meet these challenges and set up a completely virtual online summer school for our students, alongside our in person summer school for those who could attend. This pilot was extremely successful, and across the UK we had over 190 students attending our virtual SS. Alongside this, our virtual students will be entitled to 4 in-person interview days so they do not miss out on vital preparation before interview.
With the ease of a virtual set up, we were able to cast a wider net on the number of widening access students that were able to attend our virtual summer schools. Each year we envisage that our numbers continue to increase as Medic Mentor reduce the barriers to access for our most disadvantaged students
As stressful as the medical application is, there’s so much support from Medic Mentor that’s available to you. The support that we receive makes the application a lot less difficult and the team at Medic Mentor are brilliant.
The level of support has been amazing. I knew that we would get support but I didn’t expect it to be as in depth as it’s been. It was just brilliant, I can’t put into words how much help I received and how much impact that’s had on my application.
It was also great to meet like minded people. However, to be able to do this with students from all over the country and international students too has been a great experience. To make friends with these other students gives us a support network through our applications and medical journey.
I’m looking forward to getting the rest of the application completed. Now that my personal statement is done, I can concentrate on that and I know with Medic Mentor it won’t be as stressful as it may seem.