Book Club FAQs
We meet via Zoom three times every month to discuss a medical book:
- First Thursday: Book themes and general reflection
- Second Thursday: Guest speaker related to book
- Third Thursday: Debate meeting (members participate)
How do I join the Book Club?
You can join the Book Club by filling in this form. Once you have done so, you will receive a password enabling you to access the Members’ Area of the website, with all the meeting details etc. You will also be added to our mailing list and Slack channel.
How can I reflect on my reading/apply my reading to my application?
The Medic Mentor Book Club Committee has created a ‘Reflective Diary’ to allow members the chance to document their findings from our sessions in a single document. You can then refer to this in your personal statements, interviews etc. throughout your medical career journey. The details can be found in the members’ area.
What if I joined the Book Club but haven't received any emails?
Please note that there is often a 2-3 week delay between joining and receiving your first email. In the meantime, you can catch up via the Members’ Area on the main page, with previous recordings and meeting details, as well as additional resources.
How do you decide what books to read?
We decide on books based on our Reading List and the recommendations of current Book Club Members.
I would like to join but am not sure I have time to read a book every month!
It is by no means essential for members to attend every meeting, or even to have read the whole of every book before attending – we won’t be testing your knowledge, and are very happy for members to pop in and out per their own interest/time/availability.
What if I can't afford to buy a medical book every month?
We are working on our Widening Access scheme. At present, some of the options available to you are:
- Audiobooks (e.g. Audible) you can sign up for a 30 day free trial and listen to the book on demand!
- worldofbooks.com and abebooks.co.uk
- Second-hand books (eBay, Amazon ‘used’, or Depop app)
- eBooks (e.g. eBooks.com)
- Borrowing books, either using something like the Borrow Box app or via your local/school library.
As a current member, how can I get more involved?
We have lots of opportunities for members to get involved:
- At Themes meetings: you can take part in the general discussions, in breakout rooms, or you can apply to present at a theme meeting with the committee (see email for details).
- At Guest Speaker meetings: you can submit questions for the speaker and ask them yourself! This can count towards the Awards Programme.
- At Debate meetings: you can apply to be on the debate or reserve team: this will earn you a certificate of participation and counts as a presentation for the Awards Programme!
We also run various competitions and events throughout the year, details of which will be emailed to members.
I can't find the meeting Zoom links!
Zoom links for the meetings are available to members only in the ‘Members’ Area’ of the website.
Are you running any competitions at the moment?
All competition details will be posted on the main website page.
Where can I find previous meeting recordings?
Meeting recordings are available to members only in the ‘Members’ Area’ of the website.
How can I leave the Book Club?
We’re sorry to see you go, but can understand that the Book Club is not for everyone! You can leave by using the link at the footer of each email.
How can I get in contact if I have an issue or a question not answered here?
We can be contacted by email on email@example.com.